Monday, April 8, 2013

Deconstructing the Playlist - Cat Power and the Lost Art of Music Videos



It seems like every web site I frequent has been posting links to Cat Power's newest music video, "Manhattan." It really is too good not to share. Have you seen it?

I've been a fan of Cat Power for some time. Her music especially reminds me of this pseudo-date Johnny and I went on more than 7 years ago. You know that awkward stage of dating where you haven't made it official, but you've admitted your feelings for one another? Every interaction is heavy with sub-text and you lie awake in bed at night wondering what the other person is doing, what they are thinking. Exhausting, but exhilarating.

Anyway, Johnny and I were in this phase when we decided to go see Cat Power in concert at the Rialto Theater with some friends. I got there a little late and there were no more seats available with our friends, so Johnny and I made our way up to the balcony. The seats there are narrow and I had to jam myself into one, my knees crunched up into the seat in front of me. It was hot inside and I was sweaty and I was being very careful not to touch Johnny, lest he'd changed his mind about me and forgotten to mention it. I'm certain he had the same thoughts because we both sat there, rigid and untouching, for the entire show.

Luckily, it was easy to get lost in the music. We'd heard rumors that Chan Marshall (a.k.a. Cat Power) had been going through a tough time on this tour and had ended shows early, nearly had breakdowns on stage, etc. But that night, she was perfection. She alternated between personas, sometimes the bluesy-rock chick belting out songs with the rasp that only she can conjure, and other times the fragile ingenue playing bare-bones melodies on the piano with a single spotlight illuminating her. A horn section joined her for the last half of the show, and she pranced around like a little girl. Johnny has made me many mix CDs during our relationship. Cat Power always features prominently. Her songs never fail to remind me of that night, or of our many shared experiences that seem framed, somehow, by her lyrics.

In the "Manhattan" video, Chan tours New York City in a grand way. Sometimes, she's soaring high above the streets, familiarizing herself with the Brooklyn Bridge and literally touching street lights. Then she's venturing underground, performing with subway musicians and waiting for a train to arrive. I love her solo walk through Chinatown and her spontaneous, silly dancing. It's a nice way to reintroduce her to her fans, because she looks different with her cropped, bleached hair, but more importantly, she seems different. Definitely more smiling than the Cat Power we're used to.

Watching "Manhattan," I am reminded how much I LOVE AND MISS MUSIC VIDEOS. I know many artists still make videos, but I rarely seek them out and watch them. Videos used to be easy to access and were such a big part of my childhood. Between MTV, VH1, and even video-on-demand channels like The Box, my siblings, cousins and I were always glued to the TV, waiting to see our favorite artists perform. Some of my favorite memories involve the New Year's Eve countdown of the 100 best videos of the year. I know a lot of people, aren't into videos because they provide a ready-made narrative for the song. Once they see a video, it's argued, they can't disassociate it from the song and they'd rather let their own imagination come up with the images. For me, a video is just a natural extension of music, a "bonus feature" if you will. It's one more opportunity for the artist to convey the meaning behind the song - or, in some cases, a chance to create a visual that has nothing at all to do with the song in question.

I think back to the MTV of old and appreciate that videos provided a lot of fantasy and escapism in their way. As an adolescent, I watched New Kids on the Block and fantasized about marrying Jordan Knight. My sister, cousin and I watched Paula Abdul videos on repeat and tried to match her dance moves for an entire summer. As a teenager, shows like Alternative Nation and 120 Minutes were a way to find out about new bands, or to see some of my lesser known faves featured. Total Request Live was nothing short of an institution in the 2000's and provided a stage for pop stars to act like damn fools, much to our entertainment (the original Twitter, perhaps?).

At their best, videos are art in their own right, time capsules that perfectly capture an era. "(You Gotta) Fight For Your Right (To Party)" by Beastie Boys, with its low-brow comedy and 80's hair, is hilarious and dynamic. "Undone (The Sweater Song)" by Weezer still feels like something fresh and interesting almost 20 years (!!!) after its release. And "Street Spirit (Fade Out)" by Radiohead will always be one of the most gorgeous things I've ever seen. (Apparently, my favorite songs all involve parentheticals.)

So much of the programming on "music" channels now is based in reality: Teen Mom, 16 & Pregnant, Real World 751. It's just not fun anymore, nor can it be called "art" in any literal sense of the word. I know I am hardly breaking new ground by suggesting that MTV begin fostering an environment where music videos are played again, but I think an entire generation of 30-somethings wishes they'd give it a try.


3 comments:

  1. I'm not sure why but this site is loading extremely slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I'll check back later and see if the problem still exists.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So I had tried to enter a comment here before, but it didn't go through after I had spent 30 minutes composing it. Bummer. Let me sum up. Cat Power is a crazy, amazing girl. I loved it when she yelled at the crowd at the Rialto show because they weren't making enough noise and then left, only to return a short while later. She is bat-shit crazy which is appealing to me in an artist, I must admit. I miss music videos too. I have 2 monitors set up, so I can listen to/watch music videos while I'm working (probably why my workmanship has been declining as of late), and seeing the video adds such an amazing depth and texture to the song as it stands alone. My most favorite videos right now are "Wrong" by Depeche Mode, "Breezeblocks" by Alt-J, and you should re-watch the live version of "Love is Blindness" by U2. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous, I'm not sure why the site would be loading slow for you. I've tried it on a few different computers and it seems to function okay. Let me know if it is still happening and I will try to dig into the issue.

    Bree - I will check out those videos you mention. I want to get into the habit of watching more videos for sure, I miss having them in my life!

    ReplyDelete